1 the act of making something ready
2 any igniter that is used to initiate the burning of a propellant [syn: fuse, fuze, fusee, fuzee, primer]
3 the first or preliminary coat of paint or size applied to a surface [syn: flat coat, ground, primer, primer coat, priming coat, undercoat]
- A substance used as a primer.
- present participle of prime
Priming may refer to:
- Priming (psychology), a manifestation of implicit memory
- "Priming", also known as Agenda-setting theory, the process of bringing certain content to the foreground in the media
- Priming (agriculture), a form of seed planting preparation, in which seeds are soaked before planting
- Priming (science), a process of cleaning and preparing equipment before experimentation
- Priming (steam engine), a condition caused by the build-up of water in the cylinders of a steam engine which is carried over from the boiler due to impurities in the water, which foams up as it boils.
- Priming (immunology), a process occurring when a specific antigen is presented to naive lymphocytes causing them to differentiate either into armed effector cells or into memory cells.
priming in German: Priming
blasting cap, calcimining, cap, chromogen, coat, coat of paint, coating, color, color filter, color gelatin, colorant, coloring, covering, cramming, dead-color, detonating powder, detonator, distemper, drier, dye, dyestuff, electric detonator, enameling, exploder, exterior paint, flat coat, flat wash, floor enamel, fresco, fulminating mercury, fuse, gilding, glazing, glossing, ground, interior paint, japanning, medium, mercury fulminate, opaque color, paint, painting, percussion cap, pigment, pre-education, preinstruction, primacord, prime coat, primer, shellacking, squib, stain, staining, stippling, tempera, thinner, tinction, tincture, transparent color, turpentine, turps, undercoat, undercoating, varnishing, vehicle, wash, wash coat, whitewashing